What You Missed: 18 October 2018 – Legislative Issues Impacting the Healthcare Industry
The HBA Fairfield County hosted its second evening event of the year with a dynamic speaker panel. Featured speakers included:
- Jennifer Bryant - senior vice president of policy research at Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America
- Christine Marsh - vice president of market access at Boehringer Ingelheim
- Lauren Randall Buckley - group vice president of health policy and reimbursement strategy at Jeffrey J. Kimbell Associates
- Bridget Walsh - vice president of government affairs and public policy at Boehringer Ingelheim
They provided insights on policies and legislation such as, importation, price controls, transparency, public safety and regulatory standards that directly affect the industry and the patients we serve.
Here are some of the lessons learned from the event:
- American Patients First plan (blueprint) – Objectives: make the system more competitive, lower drug prices, lower out of pocket costs to patients, stop “free riding” of ex-us on the system.
- More than eight major notices and rules have come out already
- Changes to rebate system - gearbox of the marketplace- affects all other parts of the system - move to upfront discounts to have greater impact to patients
- Value-based/outcome-based contracting
- Drug prices - focusing on proposals that actually reduce what patient pays and efforts around transparency
- Biosimilars and generics are a big focus - want a better pathway. Barriers - complicated patents and exclusive contracting
Join us at our final meet and greet of 2018: Come celebrate the holiday season – 29 November
As we head into the busy holiday season, let’s take a moment and celebrate the 1st year successes of HBA Fairfield County. Register and join us for a social networking evening on Thursday, 29 November. As our membership grows, so does our value to the community. Bring a friend or colleague and enjoy the camaraderie of our association. We look forward to seeing you later this month.
To learn more about future events hosted by HBA Fairfield County, sign up to receive information under your HBA account on the HBA website.